Movie Moron
December 21, 2014, 01:07:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Slasher Movies  (Read 35804 times)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »

Top Ten SLASHER Movies

What makes a slasher film? It's not just a horror, I think it needs to have a lone, iconic villain the systematically kills people throught the movie, rather than all at once. Of course, this rule can be bent. Here are my picks for the ten best slasher films ever made.

10. When a Stranger Calls

Yes, yes, there is some extreme cheese factor going on in this flick, and these are some SERIOUS Princess Bride flashbacks every time Carol Kane speaks, but this film version of the campfire tale (which came first?) is a real chill for the first 20 minutes.

9. Friday the 13th

Not as good as people remember, and the damn mask doesn't even show up till the THIRD movie, but this subtle interpretation of Freudian theory is a must-see blood fest, if for nothing else than Kevin Bacon's post-coital massacre.

8. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Well received by indie-critics, largely ignored by fans, this flick is fun and clever, if at times a bit slow moving. A behind-the-scenes mockumentary about the Slasher world's latest rising star ... the scenes that explain the silliest of slasher movies conceits are hilarious and the performance by talented nobody Nathan Baesel is so awesome it should have elevated him to leading man status rather than occasional side character on crappy network television.

7. Halloween

Considered by some to be the greatest slasher flick, I still maintain that besides the score and creepy mask, this film is more slow than brooding. But still, a few of the kills are classic, and it's noteworthy for the lasting impression on pop-culture and turning the world on to Jamie Lee Curtis.

6. Child’s Play

Until they showed him and he looked like a perverted Muppet, this flick was TRULY scary. The pitter-patter of little demonic feet is about the scariest thing there is.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street

The savage imagery, deeply perverted sexual themes, and wily performance from Robert Englund placed this film in the pantheon of great horror. To this day, despite the violence, it's the concept of a killer in your dreams that is the scariest part.

4. Scream

Part spoof, part satire, part slasher, this flick manages to balance funny and scary at a level normally reserved for that creepy uncle that would play with the kids during family reunions. The twists on normal slasher conventions (ala, multiple killers) made this film a classic.

3. Severence

Dry British wit mixes with social commentary, deep drama, and silly humor. This film is more subtle and detailed than the title leads you to believe. The lead performance from Laura Harris is fantastic and, unlike most other slashers, the true horror comes when you fall in love with the characters and then have to see them killed.

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Despite being my favorite slasher film of all time, it still doesn't quite make the #1 slot. TCM is brilliant. No other words can really describe this Vietnam-era fable; the anger and hope in the final sequence are strangely moving, even today, and the sickening non-gore creates an atmosphere so tangible you can almost smell the decay from your TV set.

1. Psycho

The great grandad (or grandma?) of slasher films. Truly one of Hitchcock's greatest, this flick is groundbreaking not just in its subject matter, but also it's 50/50 plot construction, protagonist swap, and acknowledgment of psychological disorders.

And do I even NEED to mention Anthony Perkins?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

My favourite genre. I haven't seen Severance yet, but I can't help but suspect it won't be better than Halloween and A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Scream 2 is an absolutely phenomenal film too, only let down by the finale on the stage.

If only there was room for Prom Night, I Know What You Did Last Summer (underrated), the original Black Christmas...
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

See, I disliked the slasher genre until I saw Severance. It was because of Severance I even bothered watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and that changed my life. It takes a LOT for me to like slasher, and I'm still on the fence about most of the classics.

Did you see the Prom Night remake? The trailer wasn't too bad, but then again, the TCM remake trailer was good too.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »

I caught the last half an hour of the remake. Can safely say it was the most pathetic horror film I have seen in years. Just awful filmmaking. I'm really not kidding.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »

Great list dalmatianjaws and for me, pretty controversial, i mean i wouldn't even call Severance a slasher film as it has too many killers, same for TCM, really good movies but for me, not slasher flicks.
And WOW, you've certainly got some cohones puting Scream above Halloween mate especially as for me a slasher needs a killer that just doesn't give a fuck and the two lame assed college kids just don't cut it as a genuinely scary killer.

I'd have also included Henry:Portait of a Serial Killer, that was one seriously fucked-up and scary flick.

The next scream you hear could be your own
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »

Yeah, I knew I was gunning for trouble when I wrote this. See, thing is, a few years back I sat down to watch the classics (aka, Halloween, Freddy, Jason, Child's Play). And I pretty much disliked 80% of what I saw. I dug the low budget gritty feel of Jason, but was otherwise bored. I loved the concept and feel of Freddy, but thought the story/characters were stilted. And Halloween, which I can't ignore the impact of on other films, just bored me to tears.  I just figured the genre wasn't for me, but all the twists on the genre (scream, behind the mask, severence, and apparently tcm even though that seems to really follow the formula) really rocked my world. And Psycho is of course incredible.

I have to rewatch these I guess, now that I'm older.

I havn't seen Henry: Portrait of a Killer. I'll try it out.  You know what I want to see? Dahmer. I know, looks like direct to video shit, but it's written and directed by the guy who made Down in the Valley with Ed Norton.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »

The Ted Bundy flick is actually pretty good.
Tyler Lovemark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:12 PM »

Halloween still stands as my favorite.  Even seeing it countless times, it still leaves me creeped out for about a day after.  I've never heard of Severence, so it looks like I will definitely have to check that out.  Maybe I'll rent it along with The Burning, The Prowler, and Sleepaway Camp.

Just a quick question, does anyone else have a Friday the 13th marathon when the date rolls around, or is that just me?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »

I watched the first four a lot at college, but part five onwards are just too terrible to cope with. If you haven't already seen the article on the new Friday The 13th, check it out here.
The Stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:11:32 AM »

I caught the last half an hour of the remake. Can safely say it was the most pathetic horror film I have seen in years. Just awful filmmaking. I'm really not kidding.
i usually like most movies even if most people hate them but i can honestly agree with you there,prom nights remake was THE most horrible movie ive ever seen,i wasn't scared at all through out the entire movie and i really think they should have considered it a comedy
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

I thought the meta-narrative of New Nightmare was awesome, and the concept of the evil having no home now that Freddy was over was SO inspired. Still, I remember the execution being a bit silly.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:56 PM »

New Nightmare is a real mixed bag, there are moments that are superbly original and creepy, up against a lot of dull stuff. The ending down in the hell set is a bore.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 06:47:59 AM »

Sheridan I am totally glad that you brought up the fact that after Friday the 13th part 4, they pretty much go downhill,  I absolutely love the first 4 films!!  My favorites, I am just glad that I am not the only one that feels that way!!

But I really like Part 6, it goes back to the first four, they killing scenes are so awesome and graphic, please watch that one again and get back to me with your thoughts!!!!

Jason goes to Hell is so Horrible!!!!  The worst one, and part 7 with all that BS about that girl having power she uses from her mind is retarded, they should of just stuck with the Camp Crystal Lake themes!

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »

Well I have recently bought Behind The Mask, I keep hearing bad things about it, I havent watched it yet, who else has seen this flick, I would like to hear everyones feedback on this flick.

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »

You heard bad things? Funny, I heard only good things. But I haven't watched it yet myself. All I can say is it's pretty different to your 'typical' slasher flick. Looking forward to hearing what you think.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »

Well i have read good reviews, but just heard bad things from some of my personal friends, but we dont always see eye to eye on everything. i will let you know what I think of it after I watch it for sure!
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »

Well I watched Behind The Mask last night, and let me sum up my review in one word, GENIUS! That movie is so amzing on so many different levels! Defintley first of its kind, I strongly urge everyone to go buy this DVD, it is wonderful, you will be very pleased! After you watch the film, checkout the extras and watch the making of the film, here the things Robert Englund has to say about the movie, he gives a very good understanding of the film!

Sheridan watch it soon!

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »

*MILD SPOILERS*

Tross, how did you feel about the shift at the end to a "normal" movie?  I liked it, but thought that by obeying the slasher rules so closely they actually lost some of the originality that made the first section so brilliant. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I need to buy it and watch it again.

Isn't the actor that plays Leslie FANTASTIC! He's the most likable guy in the world, it's hilarious.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »

That's good news. I'm looking forward to this one.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »

*MILD SPOILERS*

Tross, how did you feel about the shift at the end to a "normal" movie?  I liked it, but thought that by obeying the slasher rules so closely they actually lost some of the originality that made the first section so brilliant. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I need to buy it and watch it again.

Isn't the actor that plays Leslie FANTASTIC! He's the most likable guy in the world, it's hilarious.

Dude you are 100% right, I liked the transition too. He guy that played Leslie was so funny. My sister and I wtached that movie last night, we were out running around today doing stuff and we kept talking about the movie all day, when we got back to my apartment we poppid it in again and I just finished it for a 2nd time, its so clever and original! To tell you the truthe Dalmatianjaws I would of never picked it up until I saw it on your top 10, I thought if it was good enough for you to add it to your top ten slasher films then I might as well give it a shot! Thanks for featuring this piece!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: